Pregnancy Prevention Services
Pregnancy Prevention Services are one of the Red Door Services we provide here at the Hennepin County Public Health Clinic.
Birth control and related services are provided to women, ages 12 - 21 who want to prevent pregnancy. Services are provided by nurse practitioners in consultation with a gynecologist.
Pregnancy prevention services are low cost and fees are based upon a patient's ability to pay. A small fee is charged for birth control methods dispensed from the clinic. The fee is dependent on the method chosen.
At your appointment you will have the oportunity to talk with a nurse practitioner about your general health, and your sexual and reproductive health concerns.
Family planning examinations are scheduled by appointment. Please call for available appointment times at 612.543.5555.
Pregnancy Prevention Services Available
- Review of your health history and practices
- Physical examination
- Pelvic examination
- STD screening
- Vaginitis screening
- Pap smear (cervical cancer screening)
- Sexual and reproductive health education
- Birth control and pregnancy prevention information and supplies
Pregnancy Prevention Options Available
- Abstinence (not having sex)
- The Patch
- The (Nuva) Ring
- The Shot (Depo - every 3 months)
Other Services Available
- HIV testing
- Hepatitis B vaccine
- Community referrals for pregnancy-related care and abnormal pap smear results
- Emergency contraception is available for any woman at risk for pregnancy. This method is available up to 72 hours after unprotected sexual intercourse.
If you are interested in pregnancy prevention services, call the clinic at 612.543.5555 for more information or to make an appointment to see a nurse practitioner.
If you are outside of the age range of 12 - 21 years and are unable to access the Red Door pregnancy prevention services, please contact your local Planned Parenthood for sliding scale fee services.